Sometimes it is so monotonous to use same words again and again. Repeating the carbon words while speaking or writing make the conversation dull and unexciting. Using new words or synonyms in daily conversation not only enhance one’s vocabulary but also helps in making the conversation more lively and vivid.
With more vocabulary we are acquainted with, the better we are able to play with language. A large and rich word-stock improves all areas of communication — listening, speaking, reading and writing.
In order to make communication or writing more interesting it is important to know the identicals of routine words so as to create a more intriguing impression in the mind of the listener or the reader. For example instead of saying, “What a beautiful view!”, we can say “What a alluring view!”.The word “alluring” gives a more exciting and impressive description of the appearance of the view.
Similarly, in writing, especially in creative-writing, repeating the same words innumerable times can turn the write up lifeless and boring. In order to make writing more innovative and interesting it is important to get familiar with the new words or the synonyms.
Here is a list of some commonly used words and their synonyms which can help making your conversation and writing more colourful and captivating.
1. Pretty: attractive, beautiful, elegant, exquisite, glamorous, lovely, stunning, striking.
2. Said: called, shouted, whispered, remarked, responded, replied, stated.
3. Laughed: giggled, grinned, bursted, snickered, cackled, chuckled, tittered, guffawed.
4. Nice: admirable, amiable, benevolent, cordial, gentle, gracious, kind, pleasant, thoughtful, warm.
5.Happy: cheerful, content, delighted, ecstatic, glad, jovial, jubilant, lively, merry, thrilled.
6. Sad: cheerless, gloomy, dejected, depressed, grieved, heartbroken,heartsick, sorrowful, woeful.
7. Little: compact, limited, minute, miniature, slight, small, tiny, undersized.
8. Big: bulky, enormous, gigantic, great, huge, immense, large, massive, sizable, tremendous.
9. Angry: annoyed, resentful, bitter, enraged, fuming, exasperated, furious, infuriated, outraged.
10. Brave: adventurous, courageous, daring, fearless, gallant, lionhearted.
11. Important: crucial, considerable, essential, relevant, salient, significant, vital, urgent.
12.Clever: bright, brilliant, capable, cunning, competent, intelligent, gifted, knowledgeable, sharp, shrewd.
13. Lazy: dull, inactive, indolent, lethargic, passive, sluggish, unenthusiastic.
14. Funny: amusing, comic, chucklesome, entertaining, hilarious, jocular, jolly, ridiculous, silly, witty.
15. Fast: accelerated, agile, fleet, hurried, quick, swift, speedy.
To put it in a nutshell, Just as reframing a photograph can provide it a new look, in the same way employing new and different words in communication can add more beauty to the language. A good command over vocabulary will always help a child to be more successful academically and communicatively.
These are just few habitual used words, you can add more to your dictionary and share it with us as Learning multiplies by sharing knowledge!